EdgeX V1.0, includes include important new features as well as improvements and hardening of the existing EdgeX functionality.
This release includes:
- Support for Redis as well as MongoDB for all database using services. The persistence layer of all database using services was modified so that going forward it is easier to replace the persistence stores.
- Addition of application services and accompanying application functions SDK to create them. Application services are “function pipelines” for preparing EdgeX data before sending the data to an endpoint of choice. Application services will eventually replace the current EdgeX export services. Application services in the Edinburgh release are designed and implemented to support smaller, more tailored export needs that are more efficient and scalable.
- Enhancement of the system management facilities to track and report on service CPU usage and metrics as well as track the operational status of each EdgeX service.
- Incorporation of a correlation identifier throughout the EdgeX system to provide the ability to trace sensor data from the sensor to export while also supporting better debugging and performance metrics tracking.
- Support for the ingestion, use and export of binary data in CBOR format.
- Additions of unit and black box testing over the entire platform as well as the inclusion of automated security feature testing.
- Construction of a new performance framework to give EdgeX developers better visibility into the resource utilization and behavior of EdgeX system as a whole.
- Using the new and improved device service SDKs in Go and C, EdgeX added several additional device services to connect more sensors and devices.
- Improvements and cleanup of the configuration bootstrapping, scheduler service, device profiles, API gateway and security secret store.
- Improvements to on-boarding EdgeX users. This includes improved documentation, tutorials, dev kits, and other material to make getting, using and understanding EdgeX easier.
- Upgrades to the security infrastructure to include moving to the latest version of Kong.
- Go-based EdgeX services were upgraded to Go version 1.11. The Go source code dependency management was also moved to Go modules as Go Glide was deprecated by the Go community.